Monday, September 29, 2008

getting what they want..

when we discuss mainstream media and how they give the audience what they want to see in order to raise ratings etc., I always end up saying, the mainstream media presents what they want to see. Most people I know want to hear issues and good discussions on the true facts etc. But, instead we are given horserace coverage, or what Sarah Palin is wearing.

But this MSNBC article really discusses what people are searching to see in the election. And I'm not really sure if it surprised me, but i thin it was a little disappointing. I mean most searches were for Sarah Palin, including one of her legs and bikini. And to me, it just doesnt seem right. Here we are, as students, pushing to get more information, hoping we are right in the fact that mainstream media is just trying to get higher ratings, that even though people do want issues discussed, more hard news and investigative journalism, mainstream just does what it wants. However, this article sort of confirms the fact that audiences are are not all that into issues of the politicians, or aggressively trying to seek accurate information on them.

No comments: